This Florida Deen Intensive session looks at the Islamic agenda of gender. Abdal Hakim Murad answers the questions: Who is a man and who is a woman? Does God have a gender? And what is real gender equality? This intelligent analysis of a somewhat controversial topic seeks to dispel many misplaced notions held by many non-Muslims, as well as many Muslims themselves. Learn about the influence of female scholars in classical Islam, the Islamic models of female perfection, and the Muslim response to secular feminism. The speaker then engages the audience by answering their concerns directly such as: women in the masjid, women leaving the home, female reinterpretation of the Qur'an, gender segregation, Islamist feminism, and the perception that Paradise is a male's paradise. (Duration: 1 hour, 29 min)
1) There is No Islamic Utopia, But We Must Strive For One
2) Female Sheikhs in Classical Islam
3) Visiting Graves
4) Hamam: The Public Bath
5) Women and the Extended Family
6) Answering Secular Feminism: Defining Justice
7) Four Models of Female Perfection in Islam
8) Who is a Man and Who is a Woman?
9) Does God Have a Gender?
10) What is Real Gender Equality?
11) Q&A: Women in the Masjid: A Fitnah?
12) Q&A: Can Women Leave Their Houses?
13) Q&A: Female Reinterpretation of the Qur'an?
14) Q&A: Relax About Gender Segregation
15) Q&A: Islamist Feminism?
16) Q&A: How Did Traditional Sufis Eat So Little and Have Energy?
17) Q&A: Difficulty of Divorce For Women in the Hanafi Medhab
18) Q&A: Bilquis (Queen of Sheba): A Model For Muslim Women?
19) Q&A: Men Giving Salams to Women?
20) Q&A: Etiquette of Visiting Graves
21) Q&A: Paradise Seems Like a Male's Paradise!
22) Translation of al-Haddad's Qasida